Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Message’s annual camp

The church that we have begun attending here, The Message, held its annual camp last weekend and so we joined them at “Cactus Lodge” in Betty’s Bay, a small seaside town about 80 minutes from Cape Town. Over the two nights and two days together, about 50 of us discussed four topics related to stewardship (the care of guarding of that which has been entrusted to us by God): the gospel, finances, children, and our bodies. We were excited to make some new acquaintances and to further along the relationships that are just beginning for us among church members. The church is a mixture of students and recent graduates from UCT as well as some middle-aged couples and families, and there is wide diversity in the ethnic backgrounds. Also the church is still less than five years old, so there was a feeling in our discussions that we are really setting the foundation for how the community is defining its priorities and functions. Jim and I felt quite privileged to be a part of the discussion and to hear a variety of African perspectives on church and church-life.

With Andy and Lesang, current UCT students who attend the Message and car-pooled with us to Betty's Bay.


Pastor Paul and Lara Schoenfeld


Julianna attempts to bat cricket for the first time in her life (sorry for the poor form, cricket fans). Meanwhile Deon was the 'wicket' keeper (plastic chair was standing in as the wicket).

The coastline at Betty's Bay - incredible!!


Close-up of a pincushion protea. Nice job, Jim.

3 comments:

Ester said...

Cricket, I thought that was an insect....well, I think the form looks great! And I do love the picture with the flower.

Tammy said...

Wow! Amazing pics. Thanks for posting.

I'll definitely be visiting in April, as I have officially signed up for Ironman South Africa. Hope for a stop over in Cape Town to check out the University.

Tim Shuman said...

Beautiful shot of the flower!! Wow. That's frameable (is that a word?)
Tim