
[First of all, apologies that we haven't been able to do much updating recently. We can only access blogspot at a couple of locations (coffeeshops with free wireless), as neither of us can access blogspot from work.]
...Two months ago I was hired to fill a temporary teaching position at a nearby public high school, Pinelands High School. (Yikes!) We are now nearing the end of the school year and fast approaching the summer holidays, so actually I’m only on staff for 9 weeks of teaching and 3-4 weeks of exams (during which time I help do marking/grading, proctoring of exams, and organizing for next year). It’s been three years since being in the classroom, so I have felt rusty at times, and it’s been hard to jump into a spot that has seen four other teachers come through in this year alone. Tough on those students, too.
At the same time, I feel privileged to be an ‘insider’ at the school – getting to know their systems and school culture, learning about education in South Africa, and meeting a wide variety of students and staff. The learning curve has been steep (trying to keep up with the rules about the uniform code, for example, and learning the school’s language and procedures) and learning the names and faces of my 300 students in grades 8-11 has not been easy. But I do enjoy becoming part of a new place, trying to understand different accents, and even – dare I say – being faced with the challenges of my own weaknesses as a teacher and coming to realize how much room for growth I have. Last week Jim and I went to the school’s annual one act play festival, and I had a sense of pride in seeing those students that I teach up on stage in their scenes (as if I had anything to do with it). Guess that means I’m feeling like a part of the community!
The school year ends on Nov 30, so I have only a few more lessons to teach, and then three weeks of helping to proctor (or “invigilate” as they say here) exams, and summer break will be here! The students are all excited for the holidays but anxious about exams, so actually everyone is working pretty hard right now to end well.
So this year, in the southern hemisphere, we’re approaching Christmas and summer break at the same time. Looking forward to both!
3 comments:
Well, I don't envy you the job Jul! How 'bout if I stay home and cook? Though it sounds like you have that under control too. Grandma loves Karen's cinnamon bread -- and banana bread too! Missing you...Mum
Thanks for sharing the update on your job. Apologies on this end for not keeping in touch. I enjoy hearing and seeing snippets of your life. Enjoy life in the southern hemisphere - sounds so nice to be heading into summer right about now.
Here the leaves are almost all gone and the days average in the 40's. We haven't had the first snow of the season for which we are thankful as we are trying to finish our siding and landscaping before the real winter sets in.
Love,
amber
I am glad that you are feeling a part of your school community. I hope that last couple of weeks go well and the exams. summer break and Christmas at the same time seems like such a wierd concept.
Post a Comment