Whale-watching and shark-cage diving, 6 Dec
Very little has been said about Jim’s job on our blog, so it is about time to provide an update. In short, I continue to thank God for supplying such a job that is so well suited to my situation, skills and interests. Not only is it part-time and on-campus, but it is a fantastic opportunity for growth and experience in higher education administration/student affairs. I assist in the development and administration of short-term international academic programmes at UCT.
Our first group just departed after a 2 1/2 week whirlwind tour of
One of the not-so-academic excursions consisted of a day-trip to Hermanus and Gansbaai, two small villages about 1 ½ hours east from
Another seaside village, Gansbaai, is home to 8 shark-cage diving companies. This was very high on the students’ list, and 14 of the 18 elected to do it. I was going to pass on the experience, in part due to cost ( R1000 / $175) and because Julianna accompanied us on this particular day. But the shark-cage diving company said, “You must do it – no cost to you, or your wife! We want you to know what you’re groups are doing”. Obviously good business practices on their part; the students had a great time and I plan to bring future groups back to that company.


I say “the students” because Julianna and I did not particularly enjoy ourselves. The sharks were definitely impressive and there was a lot of screaming coming from the students, but the ocean was very rough and we were out on it for about 3 hours (it takes a long time to attract Great Whites apparently), and for most of it I was feeling very queasy and Julianna was throwing up.
1 comment:
Wow, what a once in a life time experience! I must say you guys are really BRAVE! Where you scared to be in the cage? I think I would have been terrified. As for the job, I am glad you have such a well suited job.
Post a Comment