Sunday, April 27, 2008

Update on Jim's Studies

It is high time that I provided an update on my studies here at the University of Cape Town. For those who need a reminder, I am enrolled in the Master’s of Philosophy in Education (with a concentration in Higher Education) which is comprised of four courses and a thesis. I took two courses last semester and am finishing up the other two courses during this semester: Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, and Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education. My professors are once again fabulous, and I am enjoying getting to know my South African classmates.

A mid-class break for tea and biscuits is a must in South Africa! Tea-time has been religiously observed in every one of my classes (I have no problem joining the locals in this ritual!). There is always a tray of goodies waiting for us, with all the fixings: real tea cups and tea spoons, a carafe of hot water, instant coffee, tea - both regular black tea and rooibos tea (or ‘red bush’ tea; South Africa is the only place where this type of tea is grown), milk and sugar, and of course biscuits.

‘Biscuits’ in South Africa are what we Americans might place in the ‘cookie’ category. Many of South Africa’s biscuits are great for dipping, while most American cookies are not conducive to such action. Some similar cookies in the States might be animal crackers, graham crackers, Nilla Wafers, and those butter ring cookies made by Salerno that we all put on our fingers when we were young.



Upon completion of these courses I plan to turn to the thesis full-throttle. I have already begun to do some thinking/writing on what I’d like to pursue…but from my current vantage point, it is a rather daunting task! Nevertheless, I am very excited to get into it more fully when the time comes.


This is the entrance to the building where my classes meet each week.

3 comments:

Tim Shuman said...

Hi Jim,
I once checked out doing long distance education (EdD) with a So African college. The price was unbelievably low. Is it still that way? Let me know. I'm interested.
Tim S

Between Here and There said...

looks like fun and lots of studying. keep up the good work. and drink some tea for me.

Dan and Michelle said...

Wow - Tim Shuman left a note on your blog! Very cool...he's never done that for us! ;o)
Keep studying hard - we hope to see you next Christmas!
D & M