Monday, July 21, 2008

An outing to Castle of Good Hope

As an 'anniversary outing' last week, we finally visited the Castle of Good Hope, built in 1666 (in what is now the center of Cape Town) by the Dutch East India Trading Company, VOC. For several centuries it was the center of military and colonial life at the Cape. Part of the castle still functions in a military capacity, though most of it is now a museum. Above: view of the entrance and moat, with Table Mountain behind.




Above: Another angle of the moat at the entrance - the 'steeple' behind is the old City Hall, and Lion's Head in background.

Following this outing, we stopped at one of our favorite coffee shops for a 'long black' (Americano), and some studying (Jim) and internet (Jul). Yes, Jim usually carries around a stack of books like this. The reading never stops!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun way to spend your anniversary! It beats dinner at Old Chicago and a movie, although
4 1/2 hours without the bambino was pretty nice.

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,
I love looking at your blog. I am Randy's sister and I was wondering if one of you would email me. I have a question.

Anonymous said...

OK, I'm an idiot. Here is my email craiford@gmail.com.

staff said...

wish you two were here in Duncan w/ us.

does Jim read the books too? I usually carry a stack too; reading them is another matter...

happy seventh, kw
(it is seven, right. I suppose I should i know w/ some certainty?)