Yesterday after work (walking home as usual) I stopped at the hairdresser to get a much-needed haircut. I've been wanting to do this for a couple of weeks in anticipation of our Christmas trip and Rachel's wedding.
I went to "Step Ahead" first because I'd heard they have a "Buy 1 Get 1 Free" deal going. Not sure how that could work but it does sound like a deal. Unfortunately I found out the deal is no longer going and since I don't qualify for a student discount ("But my husband's a student! And we're on a student budget!" to which to receptionist replied with a blank stare) I didn't have enough cash on me to pay their price, so I walked over instead to "No Name Hair Salon", which is where I went the last time. It does have a name but I don't recall it at the moment.
This little salon is squeezed between a frozen yogurt shop and an Indian takeaway restaurant, next to the Woolworth's grocery store (also on my way home). There are 2 employees - one is the woman who washed my hair and one is the woman who cut my hair. On the walls of the salon are several posters of modern haircuts and several 30-years+ large framed prints of children playing.
The woman washing my hair was particularly chatty that afternoon, especially when she discovered that I am American. Then she proceeded to talk enthusiastically about Obama. "Yes we all have high hopes for him. With the economy this way we hope he can fix it and help the world. That will be a challenge." Meanwhile I scrunched in my chair trying to tilt my neck better into the wash basin without getting the typical muscle cramps. Partway through the process she called out to a departing customer and they bantered back and forth in Afrikaans for a few minutes. The smell of my shampoo mingled with the incense stick burning on the receptionist desk.
When she finished I switched chairs for my cut. This woman was more brisk with me, confident and comfortable with scissors. Maybe too comfortable. I said I like my hair long but want some more layers - just a trim please, my sister's wedding is in two weeks. She nodded and started cutting. Within 15 minutes she was finished and had cut off between 2 - 4 inches (in places). "What do you think? See the layers?" she queried. "Oh, yes. Well." I replied. There are definitely layers but where did all my long hair go?
I thanked her and paid my 65 Rand (currently equal to $6), and walked out into the sunshine and wind. I walked home briskly and as soon as I came inside, I went to the mirror. Okay, this is it. Hope Rachel likes it!
*Sorry no photo on this one. I'm not quite "into" the haircut yet. And let's be honest, who takes a camera along to the hairdresser?
1 comment:
Sounds similar to my experience of requesting a mere 1/4 inch trim... yikes, where are the curls? At least couldn't you have gotten rid of all the gray?
d
Post a Comment