Monday, July 27, 2009

First days in Bloomington

Yep that's us. We're here now. (Well, we're always here.) And the blog title is currently under construction. I haven't had the heart to officially change it 100%... and I'm still in search of a good photo to put as the banner behind the title. At this point we're just "doing one thing at a time, slowly." That's life in transition!

Day One in Bloomington: move all our stuff into a storage unit! (Isn't this just a classic photo.) Fortunately Mom and Dad Gieser were with us (for a couple of days last week) to help, and so was Ryan Brasher - a Wheaton College buddy also studying at IU; he's 3 years into his PhD. It is a huge comfort to have a friendly, familiar face to welcome us here!


After we moved everything into storage except for a few clothes, we temporarily moved ourselves into a basement apartment at the home of a church family we met through a connection with a missionary friend in Cape Town. Yea, crazy. But Wow. Staying in this apartment has enabled us to have time to look for a townhome, Jim begins his assistantship/job and we slowly get familiar with the town.

Here we are in front of the Sample Gates on Indiana University campus. (Notice the cyclist at the left of photo. Lots of that around town, which excites us!) This area has long had several profitable sandstone quarries, so many of the buildings on campus like the ones you see here are built with it. Very beautiful.

1 comment:

Heather G said...

Yay! I'm glad you're there (your "here) Although I secretly wish you were here....my "here", not your current "here"....which would be "there".....
Oh never mind. I'll send you an email