Saturday, April 10, 2010

Pineapple! and a really cool kitchen gadget

Lately I've been able to buy fresh, delicious pineapples at the grocery store for a good price, and we are enjoying eating fresh fruit in season and looking forward to more summer fruits coming! Of course, this pineapple isn't grown locally - it's (most often) from Costa Rica. And it is wonderful.

[Aside: while I agree with many of the "eat local" ideas, I disagree that it is a good answer for our entire diet. If we only ate local fruit, e.g. what would happen to the Costa Rican economy and their pineapple market? However we do our best to follow principles of eating in season, which is why I'm particularly excited about spring & summer crops coming soon, like tomatoes! squash! lettuce! peaches! peppers!]

Thanks to Mom G, I have this cool pineapple-coring gadget, which I get to pull out for a few months of the year. You twist the handle from the top while pressing down, and the center blade cuts around the core and slowly slices the pineapple - from the inside - into rounds. While at times it requires tremendous elbow grease (especially if the pineapple is pretty ripe), the pay-off is worth it. In fact I usually get about 1 Cup of juice, plus the fruit. (I'd already drunk half of the juice by the time I thought to take these photos.) Best of all there's very little waste.



Isn't that COOL?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cool. is there a version for maple trees?

dad

BJ Wisdom said...

Ester was always craving fresh pineapple, especially early in the pregnancy. Where did you get your gadget, or where did your Mom in law get it? Very cool and makes me want to get one for Ester.

hulahannah said...

matt was typing a comment to this and then chickened out - we got one of these in hawaii and used it constantly and LOVE it! we still use it - it's awesome!