Saturday, October 1, 2011

G&J visit Durham, part 2

After their 2-week 'scouting' visit to Mozambique, the Freys returned reinvigorated to return next year - while also faced with some of the daily life realities greeting them in Durham...like moving into a new apartment...and checking up on the farm crops they had planted and distributed to their CSA shares. (Now being run by a friend.) Craig spent one long day digging up a portion of the year's sweet potato harvest, the last of the summer crops. WOW! A bounty! Asher and Gemma had fun looking into the big crate and lifting up the hefty potatoes.

Trying to get a photo of the two cousins sitting in this chair - but Asher didn't really like Gemma being in 'his' space so I didn't capture his characteristic grin (this time). But still cute, right?


A couple of food shots - one day Mom made roasted chickpeas with tomatoes. The leftovers we threw in to a batch of hummus; that made for a very delicious hummus (though likely not replicable. Ha. Isn't that what Hawkins' cooking is all about?).

And I made some big oatmeal cookies with craisins, white chocolate and dark chocolate chips, and pecans.

Unfortunately Jim was not with me for this next activity - revisiting THE scene of our engagement 10 1/2 years ago: Duke Chapel's tower! One afternoon I joined with Dad and Dan, leading two groups of international students up the 232 (is that right, Dad?) steps of the tower. No, Dad and I did not attempt a re-enactment, though we did briefly share the story with the group at the top. And yes, it has been almost 11 years since that auspicious day. Yikes, are we getting older?

Meanwhile Gemma and Jaja stayed below to eat snacks and run around on the lawn.

While we were ascending the narrow, dizzying steps, an academic convocation of some sorts ended in the Chapel, and the organ and then the bells began to play. The music and gonging resonated in the staircase. It was a bit spooky - and totally perfect.


The first reaction at seeing the view is almost always, "Wow, it's so green! So many trees!" I couldn't help but exclaim it myself. Great views today, with mostly clear skies and just enough cloud cover to block the direct sun.

I leaned as far out over the edge as I could to wave down to Mom and Gemma. All Mom could see was my arm and the top of my head, but she waved back and tried to get Gemma to look up. But she was too distracted, oh look, a metal drain/steep hill/steps/pile of rocks/mulch; I must go lunge myself at it.



A nice family shot of the Freys after church on Sunday. Sweet hair style, Asher.

And Pete and Rita, too!

Three more photos, taken by Dad.


Just to prove I really was there (since I didn't get any photos with me in them). Dad was having fun with the Nikon.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Erica said...

Sounds like such a fun trip! And yes, you are getting older. We all are :-)

Anonymous said...

239... steps, that is.