Perhaps the most fun we had in Durham was our casual late lunch at Geer St Garden with Rachel & Craig (and a very compliant Adah Joy). This new restaurant is located in a reviving part of downtown Durham, and it was really exciting to see the positive growth and vitality happening downtown. Plus, to sit and relax...chowing on chips and beer, talking and sitting on benches outside in the shade (knowing Asher and Gemma are napping back at the house), and even playing a bit of corn-hole toss*...we felt so refreshed ...and it was vaguely reminiscent of a Cape Town weekend afternoon.
*I have no idea what this game is really called. In Indiana they call it Corn Hole. I think.
*I have no idea what this game is really called. In Indiana they call it Corn Hole. I think.
This huge basket of french fries came with a variety of fun dipping sauces. I was reaching over to try the Sriracha-naise in Rachel's basket. Very good. We also liked the garlic aioli (who wouldn't?). I have added Aioli on my list of must-make-soon food items, as well as my learn-how-to-spell-properly-without-looking-in-dictionary list.
I challenged Craig to a competitive round of corn hole. Naturally, Craig being just that kind of gifted guy, bested me on his last toss to win the game.
Uncle Pete and Gemma had some good bonding time this visit. Since our return to B-town, Gemma has frequently pointed at men in the park or store and excitedly said, "Pete!" To which I explain, "Yes, that looks like Uncle Pete doesn't it. But he's at his house. Remember we had to say good-bye?" etc. And then Gemma says, "Riii?" (Rita) And we talk about Auntie Rita too.
We (the Gieser 3) had a beautiful morning & picnic lunch at Duke Gardens, soaking up the spring weather and gardens and meandering around on the paths, amongst schoolkids on a field trip and even a class from Duke doing a play reading by a creek where we had our picnic.
Bathtime for Adah Joy - what a treat to bathe her myself. She loved it! The bath, that is. And I'm sure she loved the massage afterwards too.



1 comment:
Great pics!! Love the picture of Gemma leading Asher around :). And that last shot of Adah Joy - looks just like Asher!
Post a Comment