Monday, April 29, 2013

Jim's job: Foster's Market & Catering

I'm now working part-time at Foster's Market, a longtime Durham eatery that is well-known in the Triangle area and throughout the country. Since opening the Market in 1990, Sara Foster has added a second location in Chapel Hill and authored four cookbooks. Visitors come literally from far and wide in order to experience Foster's firsthand! I've met folks from New York and Philly, Arizona and San Diego, all of whom gushed about how much they loved Sara's cookbooks and were so excited to finally visit her restaurant in Durham. There are also our regulars, for whom Foster's is a part of their daily routines.

It has been fascinating to see the insides of a coffeshop/bakery/restaurant, especially one that is managed very well and serves high quality food. They make as much of it from scratch as they can: the baked goods, the mayo and all the dressings, plus house-roasted meats for sandwiches and salads. I've learned a lot and I'm thankful to work with and for good, interesting, fun people. Sara herself works nearly everyday.



Scones, muffins, quick breads, cookies, and New York style coffee cake are baked daily. My favorites are the chocolate chip peanut butter scone, the whopper (a chocolate cookie with walnuts, pecans, chocolate chips, and a dash of espresso), and the coconut macaroons.
It took some time to learn the system for taking orders: each item on the menu has a special code and an individual price, and as you can see from the green boards hanging from the ceiling, there are a LOT of items.
Foster's also sells various unique foodstuffs, such as local/organic/gourmet dressings, spreads, chips, bakery kits, chocolates, candies, baskets, beer, and wine.
Yes, the cakes and pies are baked daily, to, and they are Yummy! Cakes: chocolate, carrot, coconut, German chocolate. Pies: mixed berry, apple, pecan, french silk, lemon chess, chocolate chess. Even though I don't usually go for cheesecake, the oreo chocolate cheesecake looks amazing...I want to give it a try sometime.

One of our signatures is the plethora of salads made fresh each day using the best ingredients available. Tarragon chicken salad; roasted new potato salad; tuna salad; sesame roasted veggies; watercress with tomatoes and bleu cheese; ceasar - these are just a few on offer. All are extremely tasty!
Come for a visit and we'll make a trip to Foster's!

1 comment:

Melanie N. Brasher said...

Wow, looks like the perfect place for Jim! Yummy!

I was just thinking about you today and then you left a comment on my blog! We do that, don't we. :) Miss you!

baby t is SO sweet. You've inspired me to experiment more with food.