Thursday, June 4, 2015

Spring-to-summer Thunderstorms

June 1st arrived with such a welcome - sun and temperatures into the 70-80s! We had so much rain in May; the 2nd most waterfall on record for Colorado and nearly triple the average. And with every big thunderstorm we got hail - to be expected along the mountains. Perhaps it has something to do with the weather patterns and the way air moves along mountains and eastward to flat areas. I guess that is just the norm. It's also typical to get afternoon or evening rain throughout the summer months. Beautiful, blazing sunshine in the morning, then clouds and rain in the afternoon.

Good thing I found these rain boots for Timo at a thrift store because he wore them every day last month! And is it just me, but isn't there something adorable about kids in gum boots?



One evening just after the boys were in bed we had a glorious, loud and quickly-moving thunderstorm. I tried to capture it on camera because the light outside was beautiful with the contrast of the rain, the bright green trees and grass, and the sunset blazing through as the clouds moved over us and onto the east. Of course it was difficult to photograph purely, so after five minutes I gave up and just sat on the front porch and watched.



Our neighbors, Henry and Chloe, were outside splashing and having a great time.

Oh, hello, squirrel! You pesky thing. Stop digging in my garden and rooting around in my compost pile!




No comments: