The dinner - a surprise meal of new recipes, as always - turned out to be both amazing and disappointing. We had a main course salad with fresh kale, roasted leeks and beets, sun-dried tomatoes, lentils, pumpkin seeds and a lemon-maple-tahini dressing. Amazing. Oh, and maple-glazed carrots. I also made naan dough and was ready to broil it in the oven (okay, so I've made it once before, but it had been so long, I considered it a 'new' recipe again) - but after an HOUR, our oven still had not gotten hotter than 400 degrees. Time to call the Landlord. So... we had baked bread circles, or whatever you want to call them. They tasted fine, but just worlds away from real naan. Disappointing. During dinner we dreamed up a plan for our future backyard patio and outdoor kitchen, complete with a brick outdoor oven. Oh, and then we had chai, too (Timo had it for dinner. A complete meal. Tea and bread.).
| Isn't he the cutest! Look at those little curls coming in the back! |
| And Timo with his crazy hair, too. |
This year we decided to split up the dinner and the dessert into two days, which was fun (and kept us from stuffing ourselves silly in one meal). Sunday afternoon teatime was chocolate cake! It was a new vegan chocolate cake recipe, using coffee as the liquid and baked in a Bundt pan. Very rich and moist and delicious, if I do say so myself. Paired with soy vanilla ice cream, which we just discovered at Trader Joe's.
We froze a quarter of the cake for another time, and then I sliced up the rest, and Timo & I ran around to some neighbors to deliver it. Very fun time, and we ended up having a nice visit and conversation with some new neighbors at the end of the street who have a 1 year old son.
No comments:
Post a Comment