Sunday, December 18, 2016

Thanksgiving time with trip to Durham

We were not all together this year for Thanksgiving break, since Jim had the incredible opportunity to travel on a work trip to Germany for 10 days (more on that in his next post), so I was very happy to be able to travel to Durham for a week and see the Hawkins cousins for two days, and then stay on with Grandpa and Jaja for the rest of the week. [Sadly I didn't take any photos this year of our Thanksgiving meals!!] Instead of being on our own, we were surrounded by family and had a very relaxing, calm week. Although, of course, the boys still wake up at 6 am most mornings.


Look at this wonderful pair - coming up on 46 YEARS of marriage next week!


Family outing to Duke Gardens. Absolutely beautiful, even on a chilly day in November. Do you see that brilliant yellow ginkgo tree??


Dawn redwood

Phillip (oldest boy cousin), Grandpa, and Mattias (youngest boy cousin)



Since I just had my phone, I only took a few snaps this week (I know, I know, I keep saying this with every post).


Walking down to Oval Park with Grandpa

Adella (age 4) was fearless riding down the hill/ramp at the park on this big wheel!


Daniel, Samuel, Phillip and Adella with Matt and Hannah (sorry for the sunshine glare) 
 
On Sunday afternoon Blacknall church was offering an Advent wreath workshop, so Timo and I went. Timo was very enthusiastic and helpful, and ended up doing most of the 'poking' into the wreath while I was collecting greenery and cutting it. At the end he stuck in a huge piece of rosemary and declared it was "the baobab tree".


The finished product, arrived home and rearranged in Sylva

One chilly morning the boys and I walked/biked around Duke's west campus and stopped to watch some construction. I love taking them to campus and enjoying the open space and the buildings.


Another morning we met Lisa and spent several hours at the Museum. Naturally the first exhibit on our trip was the Dinosaur Trail - the boys were SO excited and running so fast I couldn't get more than blurry pics!



Timo helped Jaja make bread this week, and chocolate chip cookies on another day. And, there was park time with Grandpa and riding on his bicycle, cars and legos in the basement, and biscuit breakfast with Uncle Pete and Auntie Rita. We could get used to these frequent visits!


No comments: