Wednesday, August 30, 2017

39th Birthday

Jim's 29th, oops 39th, birthday was on a Saturday this year! So we got to stretch out the celebrations and food over the weekend. On Saturday morning, he took the older boys out for a walk on campus and then to the library. In the afternoon we had cake and played with the new Lego bricks.  (When I asked Timo what we should buy/make for Daddy's birthday, he said, "Legos!") There was also endless chicken dancing thanks to the musical birthday card from Mom G. Yes, mom, thank you so, so much for that card.





Notice some presents on the table, including a huge red cast iron pot (from Mom H)!!!

Devil's food chocolate cake, with decorations by T&M

Sunday was church in the morning, and then bike riding in the afternoon followed by birthday supper - new recipes, of course, according to our tradition: riced cauliflower and almond butter teriyaki stir fry with tofu and green beans. Both dishes were very easy and fast to make (key in our lives right now) and were really yummy. After the meal, Mattias asked, "What kind of rice is this? ... Cauliflower rice. I like it! Do you like it?" So I'd say that I will be making this again regularly in the supper routine! We do like cauliflower but I've only ever roasted it or put it in curry. I'm glad to know a new, easy way to prepare it.



No comments: