Thursday, November 22, 2007

QUIZ: What's a geezer?

Question: Is this a geezer? …

Or is this a geezer?

Answer: Both! The first one is a Gieser (pronounced ‘geezer’), and the second is also a geyser (pronounce ‘geezer’ here in South Africa). And yes, our geyser is attached to the ceiling in our bathroom, above the bathtub. Just in case we need the reassurance of its mass.

When meeting people for the first time, we used to say, “Yes, it really is Gieser/geezer, like the old man.” Now we say, “It’s Gieser, like the hot water heater.” And people smile. Still. And no one mispronounces it ‘gyz-er’ or ‘guys-er’ anymore, like Americans often do.

(Note on the irony: The very word that we use here to help people learn the pronunciation of ‘Gieser’ would be the exact wrong word to use in the US. South Africans pronounce ‘geyser’ as ‘geezer’, while Americans pronounce ‘geyser’ as ‘gyz-er’. Oh the dread of the ‘gyz-er.’ Either way we’re still the geezers.)

5 comments:

Tammy said...

I was with ya until that last paragraph, now I'm all confused again. Whatever it is, I don't want one! :P

Ester said...

Geezer, huh? Well, now I know one more thing about S. Africa. You two crack me up by the way. =D

KEG said...

Hey J & J!
Ha ha - funny post!! I ran into my first geezer when in India last January when my host said he was going to go in and heat up my geezer - say what?! :) Looks like you have a nice-sized one. I especially like that picture of Jim - he looks so Euro. You have a good-looking husband, Jul!

Love you guys!
K

Anonymous said...

Outrageous, diverse, creative windows into your newest chapter together! Keep 'em coming, Geezers, er, Geyers, I mean, Giesers!

d.h.

Anonymous said...

jim and jul,
this is absolutely ridiculous and I LOVE IT! miss you all and I literally chuckled to myself when I read it.

love, the oldest of the children on wilson street who now abides in winston salem.