Thursday, March 13, 2008

Birthday Dinner at ‘Addis in Cape’

Ever since we noticed this Ethiopian restaurant in the city, we have been itchin’ to try it out. So last month, as a surprise birthday gift for me (Jul), Jim got a group of friends to meet up with us on a Friday evening. All I knew was that we were going somewhere for dinner, so when we started driving in the direction of the restaurant…and then parked on the street…I tried to appear casual and surprised, though inside I was saying, “Yes, just what I was hoping!” Guess the six years of marriage are starting to have their benefits. I was surprised, however, to find seven friends (from church) join us for the meal.

We both enjoy Ethiopian food a lot – me because of Mom and Dad’s time there and the many times I ate it as a child, and Jim because of the three months he spent there during the summer before college. Amazingly, none of our friends had eaten at this restaurant, and only one had ever had Ethiopian before! The meal was served and eaten out of a large basket lined with injera, which we used to scoop up the various dishes of vegetable, fish, chicken, lamb, and beef.


In the photo (left to right): Fritz, Kirsty, us, Mark, Vuyi, Tulani, Tanya, and Blanche


*note: in the future, we Americans will make dinner reservations (a ‘booking’) for 7 pm or later, in an attempt to fall in line with custom here. On this occasion, we arrived at 6, and the restaurant hadn’t even officially opened! So we had the place to ourselves until another group showed up around 7 or 7:30. By the time we left at 9:30, the restaurant was full and busy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Yum! Our mouths are watering with that second photo... And quite the lovely couple too! Mum

KEG said...

You look so cute! Nice African togs! Wish I could have been there!! :) KG

hulahannah said...

Jim, I marvel at your sartorial splendor. I may have to arrange for you to outfit me with a couple of handsome shirts like that.

Matt H.

Jim and Julianna said...

addendum to all interested readers: the cool shirt that Jim is wearing is from Uganda!! (Thanks go to Rachel for her Christmas gift.)

Anonymous said...

Just makes my mouth water! Our nearby Ethi. restaurant closed last year and thus far hasn't reappeared. Oh, for your next visit you might oughta know that among real Ethiopians 1) one must eat with only one hand, and 2) one must eat with the right hand (sorry, Jul).

d (been there, done that, didn't get the tee shirt)

Tad, Amber, Owen, Sasha, Cora and Neal Williams said...

Happy belated birthday Julianna! When are you guys coming home? We miss you.
amber

Heather G said...

Happy really really late b-day Julianna. I always forget how beautiful you are until I see you again. Beautiful girl!

Anonymous said...

Again, in case you check comments...just got your letter: the amharic on the restaurant card says "addis in cape". Mouth still watering! Mum