Thursday, January 29, 2009

Welcome to 1 Pillans Road - garden cottage of "Cottage House"

As of Sunday 25 Jan we are officially moved into our new place! It's still in Rosebank and only a block from our previous flat. We are both pretty ecstatic about the new location and set-up - more private and quiet, with its own patio and garden area (and less rent!) plus very friendly landlords. In the past during walks around the neighborhood, we had always admired this house and property, so to find ourselves living there now - !

Monday morning was our first day to wake up in our new home, and since it was a sunny summer morning we ate our breakfast outside. Naturally Jim took the photo while I posed (in my pajamas).

There's breakfast: coffee and Jim's homemade buttermilk-bran rusks. Oh and fruit of course (not pictured). Nectarines, plums and mangoes are in season now.

Monday night I watered the flowers, which was probably the highlight of my day. In this photo you can see the front double-door entrance and the farm-style door to our bedroom on the right.

Here's the view from our cottage up to the main house, where Jon and Ann (the owners) live. Since a lot of the larger homes in Cape Town have "names" (I think that's a British thing?) next to the number, this house is named "Cottage House." It's just over 100 years old and typical for its time in Cape Town. So I guess that makes us the "Cottage House Garden Cottage." How's that for a mouthful?

4 comments:

Ester said...

Wow, your new home is lovely! It looks like a great place to come home and relax at the end of a long day. Julianna, I love to water my plants in the summer. It is just wonderful to be outside. Hmmm...maybe you could put some warm weather in a box and send it to Wheaton?

Anonymous said...

Its beautiful! I can't wait to come see!
HeatherG

Tad, Amber, Owen, Sasha, Cora and Neal Williams said...

Sounds like you all are setting yourselves up to stay there for the next ten years...I don't think I would come back if I were you. - amber

KEG said...

OHMYGOSH that is sooooo adorable!! I can't believe it. Couldn't be cuter. Can't wait to see more pics! So happy for you and your new digs!