Sunday, March 1, 2009

Mixed feelings

Our "favorite" cat continues to torment us - in one moment sweet and loyal, in another moment maddening and bothersome. Isn't it lovely to have a pet that welcomes you home and wants to sit next to you? But why does he insist on sticking his nose so constantly in our business? And despite our attempts to 'train' him he still tries to sneak into our house (to sit on the futon or jump up onto the armchair) almost daily. Keep in mind his owner lives two blocks away but Pollock hangs out with us morning to night!!!

So on a nice afternoon, we pet him and feel the love.


A few days ago Pollock demonstrated his earnest character while Jim was cleaning out the toaster. Right after this photo Pollock went and sat purring contentedly at Jim's feet.


*Not pictured: 10 minutes later Jim went back inside and Pollock casually tried to sneak in with him. "Hey pal!" I shouted and snapped my fingers (he usually responds to that). Yeah, keep telling yourself that, Jul. Meanwhile Jim got a big glass of water and tossed it onto Pollock. He ran away.

And then there are our landlord's two grandsons, J* and A*, who come over to their grandparents every Monday afternoon/evening. This is how that decided to handle Pollock: the Scat Cat 3000, as they dubbed in.

I thought perhaps Pollock might be traumatised but his loyalty to us since this 'experiment' remains undiminished.

POLL: Should we give up and let Pollock come into our place and treat him like our own cat? Or should we continue to keep him out but show affection from time-to-time? Or should we permanantly give him the cold shoulder?
*the last option doesn't work. We tried. And he really is cute.

5 comments:

Heather G said...

Let him in! He love you.
:)

Heather G said...

And by "love", I mean "loves".....

Anonymous said...

I say keep showing affection but don't let him in. Being that he's not truly yours you can't guarantee he won't have fleas. Anyway that's my vote. When you feel bad about not letting him in think of South African Fleas.

Ester said...

Hmmm...I must admit I am torn. But if I were you, his persistance probably would have one and I would have already taken him in. Just a thought! Love the Scat Cat 3000.

Anonymous said...

The answer is obvious: is Jim totally sanctified yet? If not, let Pollock keep up the good work....
Mum