This is the first of three separate posts highlighting the amazing and varied street food available in Bangkok. The other two posts will be interspersed into my Thailand blog series, so as not to overwhelm.
A big part of exploring another culture, in my book, is the food. Julianna and I both love food and love trying new foods. We have always taken great enjoyment in exploring the culinary tastes and traditions in the countries we've visited, from Poland to Paris, Beirut to Cape Town. I missed Julianna sorely throughout this experience - it's not half as much fun exploring a new place in the world without my partner, companion, and friend. But I felt this most keenly when I was trying a new dish, snack, or morsel.



I picked up 2-3 skewers of chicken from the woman below. They were simply amazing and I will miss them!

Yes, waffles. The ones with a stick protruding contain a hot dog - you can see the special waffle machine for those on the left. The flat ones contained either sweet or savory fillings. Sweet: raisins, chocolate, or creamed corn (corn falls on the sweet side of the sweet-spicy spectrum in Thailand, which makes good sense if you think about its flavor). Savory: green onion and a rutabaga-type veg.

Freshly squeezed orange juice.


That's Matt, one of my classmates, ordering a light, fried snack. The vendor kneads and shapes the dough into a square which he fries in the small pool of oil on the left. It puffs up beautifully, then he adds requested toppings, such as jam, bananas and chocolate, corn, or spices.
1 comment:
oh YUM. Loving your food posts (and all the others, too!!). Waffles in Thailand? Wouldn't have guessed. Nor the crepes - although both looked great! Yes! I remember our sweet crepe man! And his yummy tea, too :).
Post a Comment