Friday, June 3, 2011

Thanks for the idea, Mom

At Mom's suggestion, I decided to use the shiitake mushrooms in a quiche - this one was with salmon, cheddar, and fresh herbs. After I baked it I realized I had forgotten to throw in some of the garlic scapes too! (from our CSA box) Oh well I will just have to put those in my omelette on Sunday night instead. I had no trouble gobbling down two big slices of quiche for dinner, along with fresh salad greens (from CSA box) and some homemade mustard balsamic vinaigrette. Ah, the glories of land beginning to produce its wonderful vegetables. If only I could be in Durham to participate with Rachel & Craig in the 1st year of their Sweet Heaps CSA venture. Best of luck, guys!

Meanwhile Jim regales me on Skype with stories of all the interesting fruit and other foods he is discovering in Thailand - mainly via food cart. Mangosteen, durian, papaya, chicken satay, pad thai, iced coffee, doughnuts stuffed with a sweet corn center. Yum. Perhaps he will do a post himself one of these days.


Posted by Picasa

And in Gemma news, she continues to enjoy her bananas & avocado - particularly because they smush well into one's hair. (I still think it's cute...it's early yet.) Our 9 month old is officially 18 lbs 2 oz and 28.25". About average weight and a bit on the tall side. In the last week, she has figured out how to pull herself up to standing and is quickly gaining mobility by walking around the rooms, holding onto furniture or the wall and anything else she can reach. She will even fling herself out of my hands and take 4-5 steps on her own before falling. Watch out, world!

No comments: