Monday, November 7, 2011

14 months old (and missing Daddy)

This week Jim is in Louisville for 2 1/2 days for a NAFSA: Association of International Educators regional conference - and we are sorely missing him (and the dishes are piling up!). I mean, who wouldn't miss a dad who dresses up like this to take her for a morning walk?

Actually the weather has been mild this fall, except for some cold mornings, so we continue our daily walks and daily trips to the park.

Meanwhile, Gemma is now 14 months old and really working hard at her spoon and fork skills. Here she is going for it at breakfast (porridge, of course). Not bad, hey?!


Very proud of herself! She can eat about half the bowl on her own with no help.

But of course using hands is key once she gets to the bottom of the bowl.

Meanwhile I have been experimenting with chai concentrate syrup. I make a strong tea and add honey & spices (cinnamon, cloves, cardamon, ginger, bay leaf, and peppercorns), cooking slowly until it thickens. Then I store that in the fridge, and when desired mix 1:1 with steamed milk: chai latte! Or in my case, chai cappuccino. I'm a sucker for the foam. So delicious. It really is remarkable how my attitude can turn immediately toward contentment once I start sipping.

All it takes is this little battery-powered wand to create great foam.

The sweet, spicy chai peeks out so enticingly from underneath its cave of foam...

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jane said...

woah...I need this chai recipe, please!! wish I could sip a cup sitting with you while our girlies played. that would be soooo fun! :)

Between Here and There said...

i didn't tell you this but put a can of coconut milk in the fridge. once chilled take out and separate cream from water. whip the cream and add vanilla, cocoa, cinnamon or whatever and add a spoonful to your coffee or chai.

Melanie N. Brasher said...

I loved your chai mix. Yummy! Love the pictures. :)
Mel