Sunday, May 29, 2016

New friends!!!!

How many exclamation points can I put on that post title without you wondering if I'm desperate? Truth be told, we are SO thankful for the new friendships that have sprung up here in Sylva - beyond what we were expecting.

One great new friendship here is with Blake and Erin Daniel, who moved here a year ago from Durham. Yep, Blake went to Duke Divinity and they attended Blacknall for several years and were friends with Craig and Rachel. Naturally we got connected with them right away. Blake is a pastor here, and it was a woman in their church that found about this rental house and got us in touch with the owner (where we now live); Erin helped watched the boys while I was unpacking and has since introduced me to other moms with young kids in the area; and in general they have helped us learn our way around, 'commiserated' with us about the transition to small-town life, and been an open door to us of friendship and generosity. It also helps that they have two young boys, each just a few months older than our two.

Last Saturday the dads offered to take the boys for the morning, while the moms had some free time. WHAT!!! (Erin and I are both hoping this turns into a regular event!) I can't remember the last time I had three hours off with a friend to chat and eat and shop. It was wonderful.

Heading out for breakfast, and then a bookstore and a furniture consignment shop.

Meanwhile, back at the Daniel's house... Jim cooked up a load of pancakes, and then the boys went to work on all the cars and toys in the playroom.
 

Their boys are Luke (age 4) and Isaac (just turned 2)



What's this, what's this, they even had art time?!!



Ending the morning on a quiet note, reading The Hobbit, naturally.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love this so much! and, i love their house. i even spy pen pen in the corner on her bed! xoxo