What a treat to spend a weekend there (thanks to free housing of some family friends who have a vacation home there) and breathe some "other" mountain air for two days. It's only an hour and a quarter from Sylva, but we really needed to 'get out of town' - particularly on the heels of making it through Gemma's birthday (Sep 1st) and missing her so much this time of year. Regrettably we did not have an invitation to visit at Billy & (the late) Ruth Graham's home.
Somehow we didn't take pictures of the house or the 'neighborhood' or the campus or the awesome park/playground on the creek or even of Jim... but here's a smattering.
| standing on the small dam of Lake Susan |
| "Mommy, I will hold the crackers and walk on this trail. By myself." |
Both of the afternoons that we were there we spent at the Robert Lake park. What a perfect park for kids, with multiple playground areas and a creek running all through it, much of it quite shallow and safe. I admit that I sighed when I heard another mom exclaim to her son, "No, don't throw the rocks!" Because it is IDEAL for rock clambering and splashing, and what child could possibly resist the natural urge to throw rocks? Timo and Jim spent a long time wandering up and down the creek, while Mattias and I stayed at the playground and shallow creek area.
On Sunday morning we opted for a family hike up Lookout Mountain. It's .6 miles up, and very steep and rocky. It was great to see Timo so excited and proud to walk the whole way, exclaiming, "Daddy! I'm working hard! My muscles are getting warm! I'm breathing hard! Are you?"
| Mattias rode up in the carrier, and then walked about halfway down. |
| Getting steeper now! |
A final, tricky climb up the rocks at the top, and we are at the lookout! It's always nice to do a hike with a rewarding view.
Oh, and one random photo from the house - boys playing a marble game in the playroom upstairs. Okay, Mom and Dad H, ready to join us here next time?
No comments:
Post a Comment