Saturday, August 23, 2008

Wedding!

16 August 2008: Tulani and Vuyelwa Mhlauli


The wedding day finally! What a joyous celebration with these two good friends!
We were first introduced to Vuyi through Fritz, as she also works at the Student Y, and now we’ve gotten to know these two even better as we are in the same growth group (Bible study group), and because Vuyi and I (Jul) get together every Tuesday. During the last few months that meant that we were running MANY wedding errands - buying paper for invitations, looking for a shop to rent suits, checking out reception venues, buying material for bridesmaid dresses, arranging reception table centerpieces … and on it goes, as all brides remember. So it was with great excitement that we anticipated the wedding day and hoped for a warm, sunny winter day (which it was!).



Bummer of all bummers, however, as just three days before the wedding Jul ‘re-herniated’ a lumbar disc, harking back to Oct ’06 injury and defying all explanation for reason again. (I was putting on my jeans at the time and felt a twinge in my back, which quickly spread to excruciating pain and immobility.) So unfortunately I missed out on the bachelorette party and the wedding day, and spent the time flat on my back on the futon, trying to distract myself from being too upset by playing Sudoku. No, it didn’t really work. But Jim of course went along and here are some of the photos of the day.


Here’s Jim with friends Sizwe (studying psychology) and Lesang (studying computer science). Note: this is the first occasion since we moved here that Jim has had for wearing a tie, in contrast to his 2 years working in admissions at Wheaton College, where he wore a tie almost daily. Capetonians are ‘notoriously’ casual. He’d almost forgotten how to put it on.


Friends Lara and Paul, and Mark (middle). Pastor Paul co-officiated the wedding.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you hurt your back again. I think we visited a few months after it happened last time when you were still in Wheaton. I'll be praying for a speedy recovery, and thank you for the words of congratulations on my blog.

Ester said...

The wedding looks like a beautiful celebration. I am only too sorry that Julianna hurt her back again. Julianna, I will pray that God will bring healing quickly and until he does that you will have the patience to take things slowly. You can always drop an e-mail my way to distract yourself. Tomorrow is the first day of school! Oh the excitement.