Saturday, September 4, 2010

Gemma Taylor Gieser! Her first two days of life!

What a remarkable experience: watching and waiting for nine months as this little being formed in Julianna's body. Then comes the day when she arrives in our world, living and breathing, squirming and dark-haired. What a wonder she is, a gift from God.

Gemma was born on Wednesday, September 1. Weight: 6 pounds, 8 ounces. Length: 19 inches.

At a routine check-up on Tuesday the doctor expressed concern that Gemma had not gained any weight for the past four weeks and noticed that amniotic fluid levels were low. She felt that Naartjie (as we called her in utero) was not getting the nutrition she needed to grow: it was time for her to come out. So, as ordered, we went to the hospital on Wednesday morning to have Julianna's water broken.


Jul had a quick labor and delivery: her water was broken at 8.45 am, which, as hoped, got her body moving into action. Contractions began regularly fifteen minutes later. From noon they became intense. At 2.08 pm Jul felt the urge to push. She did - and Gemma was born 9 minutes later! (We'll omit the first photos, as neither mother nor daughter are looking their best).


Gemma's first bath, given by a nurse shortly after delivery.


Grandma Hawkins, or "Jaja" (which means "grandmother" in a Ugandan language), arrived later that afternoon.





Grandma Gieser, or "Nonna", drove down from Wheaton on Thursday.


I appreciated friends who gave me permission to change their kids' dirty diapers, but long ago I decided that I would wait to learn that important skill until I had a child of my own. Here I am, in action...this was probably the fourth or fifth dirty diaper. How am I doing?



The journey from our recovery room to the car. Afterwards Julianna said that it was one of her proudest moments in life.


Gemma didn't make a peep during her first ride in a car - and I drove especially carefully with such precious cargo inside.


We're home!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been looking forward to your baby photos as I was sure you'd post some! Thank you, thank you. As much as I've enjoyed your food photos, the baby ones are even better!! By far. What a beautiful little girl with a beautiful name. Mommy, Daddy, and Grandmas look so happy. Congrats. And God bless.
Mary from Gettysburg

Anonymous said...

What a precious, precious baby! Your post brought tears to my eyes. What an amazing time in your family. I have been praying that God would give you strength during these first weeks and quick physical recovery from labor. So excited to meet her someday.

Between Here and There said...

Oh my goodness, I can't get enough of these. And I can't decide which is my favorite. Oh, I want to hold her - so cute!!! I think I like the one of Gemma and Jim with her eyes open, so smart. When can I drive to Indiana?!

Katie said...

Yay! Yay! Yay!!!! Thanks for the awesome post and all the wonderful PICTURES!!!!! Loved "seeing" the story and seeing more of your little pumpkin!! She is so precious! Love you ALL!!

Katie said...

p.s. - the flowers outside your place look awesome!! :)

Heather G said...

I can't believe it I can't believe it!!!! How sweet is she?!!!! So sweet. She looks so tiny. I love her. Congratulations!

PS- I can't believe it!

Anonymous said...

Love the pics of Gemma! Ok, so we think that although she has Jim's dark hair, with her eyes open she totally looks like JULIANNA!! Beautiful!! Congrats you guys!! Now, get some sleep all of you ; )

-Tiffany Gieser

Anonymous said...

Here comes one BIG hug for all-a-yous. Soooo happy for you. God is good.

gsh

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! We are so excited for you all and for little Gemma to finally have joined the family in person. Welcome to the family!
CONGRATULATIONS!
love,
The PO Miners

Melanie N. Brasher said...

so precious! Love the pics, and it was so fun to meet her:)