Friday, August 24, 2012

A Race, a Meat Pie, and Thanks

Peter and Margaret were kind and generous hosts during my week in Adelaide - and very informative, too. I learned a lot from them about Australia's heritage, its favorite sports (including rugby league and rugby union, which are played in two different rugby leagues and slightly differ from each other; and especially Australian-rules football), Australia's higher education and schooling system, its plants and animals, and the city of Adelaide itself. I am grateful for their open home to me for a full week - thank you, Peter and Margaret!

I ran in the Adelaide 1/2 Marathon on Sunday morning before departing for Sydney that afternoon. I felt good and enjoyed the race - it is a lovely city with lots of parks and aging but unique and well-kept buildings/homes. 

I have now completed 1/2 marathons on 5 continents. I find this a tad amusing since I do not consider myself to be a particularly serious or die-hard long-distance runner. Nevertheless, it would be fun to continue the trend, which means I need to find races on the remaining continents, South America and Antarctica...any suggestions?



Post-race pic with bananas - isn't the free food part of the motivation for these things in the first place?! (Unfortunately the timing chip was embedded in my racing bib, so I had to return it).
An Aussie meat pie for lunch after the race: yummy! Like the UK and South Africa, Australians love their savory pies.

No comments: