Monday, August 20, 2012

A Walk Through An Adelaide Neighborhood

I just finished up a good week in Adelaide and am finally getting around to posting some pictures of my time there.

I went to Adelaide (about a 2 hr flight west from Sydney, located in the state of South Australia) in order to interview one of the academics who was a key leader in the life of the  partnership between IU and the Australia National University. (A refresher: I am exploring an academic partnership between IU and the ANU for my doctoral dissertation. I have spent the bulk of my time in Oz in Canberra, which is where the ANU is located). He has subsequently taken a position at the University of Adelaide. Since my funding organization urged me to go there to interview him in person rather than, say, simply doing so on the phone - and since they are paying for it - I was happy to oblige! 

While there, I enjoyed the hospitality of Peter and Margaret Gunn, longtime friends of Mom and Dad Hawkins. The Gunns met the Hawkins at Blacknall many years ago while Peter Gunn took a sabbatical from his Australian university in order to visit and study at Duke University.

The architecture throughout Adelaide was really pretty, and for me was reminiscent of Cape Town - tin roofs, single-story, stone walls, and small gardens with flowers that bloom even in the winter (remember, it's winter down here). I took a walk to try to capture some of the feel of their suburb, called Prospect.
The front door of the Gunn's home, my home for my week in Adelaide (a photo of the Gunns below).







Here are my gracious hosts during my week in Adelaide, Margaret and Peter Gunn. They are offering me Vegemite spread thinly (important! very salty!) on crackers.

1 comment:

Katie said...

The big question is, do they have heat/furnaces in their houses? I remember you guys freezing in SA in winter...