Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Good exercise for Hawk's hands

It's hard to keep up with all the new things that Hawk is learning these days! He is 2 months post-spica cast, and really start to get more comfortable moving around and exploring, and slowly gaining more range of motion in his left hip. Meanwhile of course we continue to try to encourage him to use his hands in all kinds of ways so that his fingers can open up and gain more 'grip strength'.

Here are a couple of photos from last week - the therapist gave me lots of ideas for helpful activities, like ripping paper, hiding toys in socks and making him pull them out, lifting plastic containers out of the drawer, manipulating Duplos, squeezing balls, smushing play-doh, lifting and pouring cups of water... you get the idea! All sorts of fun for a little boy!






I had to record this moment (below) when all three boys were happily playing together in the upstairs playroom one morning. I think it was one of the first times that Hawk had joined the older two for playtime for an extended period, and I didn't have to monitor him every second. He carefully explored his way around (no easy task with Legos and cars everywhere), crawling or pulling up to stand. I even went back downstairs to do breakfast dishes and make another cup of coffee!

1 comment:

Susie Meg said...

What GREAT pictures!! So glad to see him doing well.