I recently heard a recitation of this poem, and it struck me - struck me fully - as beautiful, true words that I can hear Gemma saying for her own life. She was taken from us in the night - but her Creator was there, guiding her path, and there was LIGHT. I don't mean that in a metaphorical sense - I mean that literally and with forceful reality. These words are more true for her now than ever before!!
Is there anyplace I can go to
avoid your Spirit? to be out of
your sight?
If I climb to the sky, you’re there!
If I go underground, you’re there! If I flew on morning’s wings
to the far western horizon, You’d find me in a minute—
you’re already there waiting!
Then I said to myself, “Oh, he even sees me in the dark!
At night I’m immersed in the light!” It’s a fact: darkness isn’t dark to you;
night and day, darkness and light, they’re all the same to you.
If I climb to the sky, you’re there!
If I go underground, you’re there! If I flew on morning’s wings
to the far western horizon, You’d find me in a minute—
you’re already there waiting!
Then I said to myself, “Oh, he even sees me in the dark!
At night I’m immersed in the light!” It’s a fact: darkness isn’t dark to you;
night and day, darkness and light, they’re all the same to you.
Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out;
you formed me in my mother's womb.
I thank you, High God - you're breathtaking!
Body and soul, I am marvelously made!
I worship in adoration - what a creation!
You know me inside and out,
you know every bone in my body;
You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit,
how I was sculpted from nothing into something.
Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth;
all the stages of my life were spread before you,
The days of my life all prepared
before I'd even lived one day.
Psalm 139, verses 7-16, The Message version
Hallelujah! Amen and Amen! We say that only with many, many tears and trembling.
...And now, for some fun pics of our beautiful, goofy, sweetie-head.
| 9 days old! |
| 6 months old and starting to eat solids |
| 10 months old and walking! |
| One Year Old pic at the rail-trail bridge |
| 20 months old (and finally getting more hair) |
Second Birthday, at Granddad and Nonna's house in Wheaton, IL. We had a few friends and family gathered to celebrate with balloons and cake and M&M's, thanks to Nonna's initiative. Gemma hadn't figured out how to blow out the candles, but she had no trouble eating up the cake and asking for a second piece!
| 2 1/2 years, after nap snuggles with 6 month old Timo |
| 2 1/2 years old, in Durham |
| almost 3, in Colorado Springs (helping get Daddy's birthday supper ready) |
3rd Birthday - in Colorado Springs, Colorado. We had friends Miriam and Karen join us for presents, birthday hats, and a "chocolate cake with pink frosting", Gemma's requests in the months leading up to her birthday! This time she definitely knew how to blow out the candles!

5 comments:
Gemma, I never met you but I LOVED you. I still have a picture of you on my wall.
I love you guys and when I think of you (which is daily), I fill up with one strong emotion or another.
Happy birthday, Gemma.
Thanks for sharing. The kids and I read your blog post and looked at the pictures. They remembered celebrating her second birthday in Wheaton with you all. Owen said he remembered eating all the M&M's spread on the tablecloth. I couldn't make it through the reading of Psalm 139 without crying and all the kids just wanted to make me stop being sad. I said, it's okay to be sad sometimes and it's okay to cry. We love you guys!
The Williams Family - Amber (Owen, Sasha, Cora, Neal and (napping) Keith)
Happy birthday Gemma! You are loved, remembered, and thought of often. Thankful that our God is greater than this world, and that He is with you today and every day. Love, Erin and the Erwin family
Happy Birthday Gemma! It was fun to look through your pictures, you had a beautiful some and were so full of joy! Julianna, thanks for sharing your thoughts and those verses. I am praying for you, Jim and the boys as your celebrate and remember Gemma.
Happy Birth-Day to Gemma! Thank you so much for sharing the memories and photos. I love you, friend.
Post a Comment